Friday, October 7, 2011

You be the judge...or rather don't because you shouldn't judge others.

This is my third blog in a week so you know I have something to say!

I have recently been bombarded by judgmental comments and/or looks from people I don't know and probably some that I do know but they try to hide it. The judgements are about the way that I raise my children, anything from using On Becoming Baby Wise with them from birth, getting them vaccinated, and what I choose to feed them or not feed them. I'm not going to go into any of these topics right now because those are not the topics I want to cover in this blog. Just know that my children are healthy and happy.

What I do want to talk about are child harnesses, leashes or backpacks, whatever you want to call them. I hate them!!


And my precious daughter has one. It's embarrassing to walk around in public with one of those attached to the back of my child but it would be even worse if she ran off and we lost her or something worse. I don't need to explain myself to anyone because its no ones business how or why we parent the way we do as long as our kids are well cared for and loved. I couldn't consider myself a responsible parent if I wasn't doing all I could to care for my children.

So I guess my thought for the day is, "Think before you judge." You never know when it could be you in that same position.

5 comments:

Clarissa Jane said...

haha!
as much as i hate those things too, i know plenty of parents who SHOULD use them.
gotta keep 'em close some how. do what you gotta.
and i just gotta love you!
XOXO

The Sheffield's said...

maybe they would have a reason for judging you if you used a dog leash! i never liked the idea of the backpack/leash but the more i go out in public with the babies the more i realize i just might need them!

good job parenting the way you want and not how others think you should. i have never seen you with your children but i bet you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

I was so against those until we went to Disneyland. I was wishing so bad we had one. I think my 3 yr old needs one because he is crazy, but I'm too cheap to buy one. We all parent in our own way. and we all get judged regardless of what we do or don't do. I'm with Cy and agree that you are probably an amazing mom!

Holly said...

Oh how I feel your pain! I was fine without one when Mackaylee was that age, but Brynlee is totally different. She's the busiest little girl EVER and I feel so much safer with her "leash" on. With that leash, I'm not the parent that lost my kid in the store and gets called over the intercom. Just sayin'.

Alicia W said...

It's not embarrassing, it's cute! Ellie loves her monkey one and I don't think it's weird at all. As she gets older, we can work on listening to mommie and not running off, but right now it works and she likes it. How different is it than say, a stroller? This way she just has a little bit more freedom instead of being completely restrained and pushed around. We're all trying and should only help each other.