As a mother, it was one of the most horrifying things I have ever experienced.
Last week we were at one of the local giant outdoor malls that the Phoenix area has to offer. In between window shopping and going in and out of stores around the mall Ammon had to use the bathroom. Being familiar with this mall I knew exactly where to go, there was a family restroom right around the corner that we headed to. When we walked up to the door I noticed that the lock on the door said "open" (amazing that the doors can tell us "open" or "occupied" without having to knock or yank on the door to find out).
Anyway, since the lock was open I swung open the door to the bathroom and Ammon and I were immediately greeted by a young couple doing something right there on the sink and counter top that they should have been doing either behind the LOCKED bathroom door or in the privacy of their own place. Of course I freaked out (for obvious reasons) and Ammon did too (for unknown reasons). I closed the door as quickly as possible and grabbed the closest mall employee that happened to be walking by and asked him to call security because of what we had just seen.
He called security but before security could get there the young couple took off running (at least they were fully clothed at this point). Luckily, security chased them down and brought them into their office.
See, the whole problem with this scenario is that the security personnel did not bother to get any information from me other than what I told the mall employee that called them to begin with. The reason that is a HUGE problem is because what Ammon and I had witnessed was not just a misdemeanor crime committed against me, but it was a Class 6 Felony crime committed against Ammon. The mall security at no point called the police or bothered to get any information from me for legal purposes.
I had to call the police department to file charges for a felony crime committed against my four-year-old son!! It may just be us, but it seems like the mall did NOT do their job. The head of the security personnel won't return our phone calls because we are pretty sure she knows they did not do the right thing.
At this point, we are just waiting on more information from the police department and getting geared up to get Ammon some psychological counseling. Who knows how much he could be affected by what he saw!
Sorry this blog post is such a downer. :(
4 comments:
You should call one of the news stations who do exposee's on businesses who are NOT treating their customers with the attention and respect that they deserve. That would be awful for a child to see and I'm sorry you guys had to experience that. The mall security are basically aiding and abetting sex offenders, and the public should know before they spend their money there!
I'm so sorry you saw that! I'm especially sorry Ammon saw that!!:(
Ugh! I'd be pissed too! That is ridiculous!
That is so crazy! I would be so upset too!! We live in such a sick and twisted world!
Post a Comment