How is it that your child can be doing something completely unacceptable right in front of your face and you have no knowledge of it until after the fact? Today was kind of like the time when Ammon was a little over two years old and had pulled a chair into the kitchen from the dining room and had climbed onto the countertop and was digging in the top cabinets looking for cookies...right in front of my face. I was sitting in the living room which is connected to the kitchen no less and he was still able to get to the cabinets before I looked up and freaked out because the fall to the granite countertops then to the wood floor would have definitely left a mark.
Which also reminds me of another time that DJ and I were watching TV and Ammon was playing quietly in his bedroom with his trains... We went into his room to check on him and he had gotten hold of his baby powder and emptied the contents onto his train table and onto his bed where he had Sheriff and Mac (from Cars). His room looked like a winter wonderland and my vacuum and his room smelled delightful for days later.
Anyway, today Ammon and I were coloring when he broke a crayon. So, I went into the kitchen to glue it back together (because tape is too bulky and it does not work as well) and Ammon followed me into the kitchen. I was so focused on gluing the crayon back together that I did not notice that he was coloring on the front of the refrigerator and having a great time doing so. I know he was having a great time because he was laughing. I looked up and there was the most beautiful piece of art on my refrigerator door. Luckily I had a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it cleaned the stainless steel right up...
How is it that I can miss things that happen right in front of my face? In retrospect, we had never taught him that he should not climb on a chair to get to the counter to get to the cabinets to look for cookies. Nor had we taught him not to sprinkle baby powder all over his toys and room to make everything look like snow. And we had also not taught him not to color on the refrigerator. Oh well, tomorrow is another day...I can't wait to see what happens next.
No comments:
Post a Comment